If you’re sharing an Excel pivot table with colleagues who aren’t too skilled in Excel, you might want to hide some of the pivot table buttons and labels before you send it.
Pivot Table Buttons Visible
For example, in the pivot table shown below, the sales are summarized by city and product. There are filter buttons on the Column heading, and on the Row Labels heading.
At the left of the date, there is an expand/collapse button showing.
Hide the Buttons
You can change the pivot table options to hide some of the buttons and captions in the pivot table.
Follow these steps to hide the buttons:
- Right-click a cell in the pivot table and, in the pop up menu, click PivotTable Options.
- Click the Display tab
- In the Display section, remove the check mark from Show Expand/Collapse Buttons.
- This change will hide the Expand/Collapse buttons to the left of the outer Row Labels and Column Labels.
- Next, remove the check mark from Display Field Captions and Filter Drop Downs.
- This change will hide the filter buttons, and the Row Labels and Column Labels captions.
- Click OK to close the PivotTable Options dialog box.
Pivot Table Buttons and Labels Hidden
Without the buttons and labels, the pivot table looks cleaner, and may be easier for your colleagues to read.