Last week, John Walkenbach posted a list of basic skills for men, then basic skills for women, and finally, basic skills for dogs. That got me thinking – what’s on the list of basic skills for Excel users? If you use Excel at work, or list it on your résumé, what tasks should you be able to do?
I’m sure your list is different, but here’s mine. Would any of these make your list?
- Sum or Count cells, based on criteria
- Build a Pivot Table
- Write a formula with absolute and relative references
- Create a drop down list of options in a cell
- Sort a list without messing up the data
- Use a formula to look up a value in a table
- Record and modify a simple macro
- Design and build a simple application, such as an order form
- Create a chart from worksheet data
- Apply conditional formatting that uses a formula
- Nest two or more functions in a formula
- Insert and protect worksheets (and understand the limits of Excel’s protection)
- Perform simple date and time arithmetic
- Filter unique items from a list